Venue review of the most romantic elopement and vow renewal venue in Granada
With arguably the best view of the historic Alhambra Palace complex and located right in the heart of the Albaicin quarter, the Carmen de Cortes apartments is one of the most romantic venues for elopements, vow renewal ceremonies and small wedding in the ancient Spanish city of Granada.
The perfect elopement location
Let’s face it, eloping is one of the most romantic gestures you will ever make and finding the right location is paramount to making your ceremony dreams come true!
Imagine walking down the hill of the Sacromonte district, past the whitewashed cave houses and along the cobbled streets to the mediaeval Moorish Albaicin district where history oozes out of every brick and flagstone.
A place where spontaneous flamenco singing and clapping can be heard ringing out – not for tourists’ ears but because of the pure passion and joy of the music in the blood of the local people.
Finding a gem like the Carmen de Cortes apartments is a little slice of tranquil boutique hotel heaven right in the heart of this special place.
- Historic Granada city is home to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Alhambra Palace
- The Sierra Nevada mountains have the longest ski season in Europe
- The beaches of the Costa Tropical are less than an hour away – fun fact: you really can ski in the morning and sunbathe on the beach in the afternoon making an awesome wedding-moon combination!
Top tip: You can fly directly to Granada International airport or with great public transport links between the two cities, you may choose to arrive at Malaga International airport and take the bus, train or drive the fabulous new section of the A7 Mediterranean motorway.
The perfect wedding venue
Each of its two apartments sleeps up to 6 in two bedrooms. The self catering apartments can be rented separately or the whole house can be rented entirely for your private use during your wedding.
Top tip: why not extend your stay to a “weddingmoon” and really enjoy the best of what the area has to offer.
The perfect romantic vow renewal location
Thinking of a vow renewal or small wedding ceremony with a small party of invited guests? Carmen de Cortes has a pretty cobbled patio where you can enjoy cocktails, canapes and tapas. It is traditional in “carmenes” to have perfumed plants outside and this gorgeous little gem of a venue has orange and lemon trees, myrtle, lavender, rosemary and other aromatic plants to stimulate the senses as they warm in the Spanish sunshine.
Top tip: for a larger wedding your hosts Cari and Angel would be delighted to liaise with their accommodation guests to have a ceremony at the adjacent restaurant Mirador de Morayma
Here it is said, Morayma, the last sultana of Granada looked out over the Alhambra palace where her husband Boabdil, the last king of Granada was incarcerated.
Top tips for your perfect day
- Relax before and after your ceremony by booking your accommodation at the Carmen de Cortes apartments.
- The Albaicin is mainly pedestrianised due to the cobblestones, the tiny streets just about big enough for a mule to pass and the desire to retain the original ambiance of this very special district.
Our top tip is to park your car at the San Cristobal parking and either walk (wear trainers because of the cobbles) or take a 5 minute taxi ride that will get you pretty close…. many streets in the Albaicin are unpassable to vehicles.
- Your hosts Cari and Angel can introduce you to local suppliers or help you to organise your ceremony yourself.
- Your wedding ceremony dreams can then become a reality in the trusted hands of a local celebrant who will take time getting to know you to create your personal ceremony.
- Memories of your wedding will be magical, meaningful and last a lifetime. Every secret smile captured for ever by the photographer of your choice and preferred style.
Real wedding photography by kind permission of Doncel y Alcoba
Real elopement weddings organised by Mery Liccardi
Real elopement wedding officiant Debbie Skyrme, Celebrant Spain
Author bio: Debbie Skyrme is Celebrant Spain. Award winning bilingual officiant of elopement, vow renewal and wedding ceremonies in the Spanish sunshine.
©Debbie Skyrme May 2021 All rights reserved. Unauthorised reproduction of the text or image in part or in whole is not permitted